Abdominal foreign body: nail

Case contributed by Dr Christoph Berliner


Whilst cleaning an interdental space two days ago and walking down the stairs the patient accidentally swallowed a used nail. No abdominal pain.

Patient Data

Age: 29
Gender: Male

Passage of an abdominal foreign body (nail) through the GI tract.

Case Discussion

Accidentally swallowed radiopaque foreign bodies are a quite common finding on x-rays. The anamnestic reports cover a broad misuse of everyday objects like in this case a nail for tooth cleaning.

Luckily even sharp objects passing the esophagus do not tend to perforate the bowel so that besides object extraction there is the option of natural passage.

PlayAdd to Share

Case information

rID: 41615
Published: 10th Dec 2015
Last edited: 29th Mar 2019
Inclusion in quiz mode: Included

Updating… Please wait.

 Unable to process the form. Check for errors and try again.

 Thank you for updating your details.