Autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndrome
Citation, DOI and article data
Autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndrome (ALPS) is a rare lymphoproliferative condition.
It presents with chronic lymphadenopathy, splenomegaly, and symptomatic multilineage cytopenias in an otherwise healthy child.
It represents a failure of apoptotic mechanisms to maintain lymphocyte homeostasis and is a rare inherited disorder most commonly occurring due to mutations in the FAS (TNFRSF6) gene. Other mutations of the genes such as Fas-ligand (FASLG), Caspase 10 (CASP10) and Caspase 8 (CASP8), NRAS and KRAS have also been observed in small numbers of patients and approximately 20-30% of patients may have an unidentified defect 6.
Although initial lymphadenopathy is non-malignant, patients have an increased risk of developing:
- 1. Rudman Spergel A, Walkovich K, Price S, Niemela JE, Wright D, Fleisher TA, Rao VK. Autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndrome misdiagnosed as hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. (2013) Pediatrics. 132 (5): e1440-4. doi:10.1542/peds.2012-2748 - Pubmed
- 2. Shah S, Wu E, Rao VK, Tarrant TK. Autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndrome: an update and review of the literature. (2014) Current allergy and asthma reports. 14 (9): 462. doi:10.1007/s11882-014-0462-4 - Pubmed
- 3. Nilo A. Avila, Andrew J. Dwyer, Janet K. Dale, Uri A. Lopatin, Michael C. Sneller, Elaine S. Jaffe, Jennifer M. Puck, Stephen E. Straus. Autoimmune Lymphoproliferative Syndrome: A Syndrome Associated with Inherited Genetic Defects That Impair Lymphocytic Apoptosis—CT and US Features1. (1999) Radiology. 212 (1): 257-63. doi:10.1148/radiology.212.1.r99jl40257 - Pubmed
- 4. Rao VK, Oliveira JB. How I treat autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndrome. (2011) Blood. 118 (22): 5741-51. doi:10.1182/blood-2011-07-325217 - Pubmed
- 5. Madkaikar M, Mhatre S, Gupta M, Ghosh K. Advances in autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndromes. (2011) European journal of haematology. 87 (1): 1-9. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0609.2011.01617.x - Pubmed
- 6. Li P, Huang P, Yang Y, Hao M, Peng H, Li F. Updated Understanding of Autoimmune Lymphoproliferative Syndrome (ALPS). (2016) Clinical reviews in allergy & immunology. 50 (1): 55-63. doi:10.1007/s12016-015-8466-y - Pubmed